Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fluffy Puffs ,Guilt and buckets


I'm ethnic, so that means I cook, clean and feel guilty . What do I feel guilty about? Doesn't matter really as long as there some guilt in my life. Not getting enough exercise, eating too much, not visiting aged parent often enough, not checking my spelling. Blah, blah, blah You know how it goes. Now I'm being helped in my quest to be a good ethnic by all the regulations and water restrictions. I'm really trying to save water but I hate being made to feel guilty all the time. I've reduced my showers to less than 4 minutes and I catch the first lot of cold water in a bucket. My house is full of buckets. I'm a bucket connoisseur now. My kitchen has 2, 3 in the laundry, 1 in the bathroom. I feel guilt if I don't put all my washing machine water on the fruit trees, guilt if I don't know whether something is recyclable. Do you know that bucket rhymes with an extremely rude expletive! I'm not saying it but I'm thinking it. If I have to feel guilty then the best guilty feeling is eating Fluffy Puffs.
Everyone needs these!!

250g Ricotta (smooth)
2 eggs
2 tblspn vanilla essence
120g plain flour
1 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
Oil for deep frying
icing sugar to serve
plate with paper towel to absorb some of the oil

Method:
Whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale and light, Fold in ricotta.
Mix together flour and baking powder then fold it into the egg and ricotta.
Heat some oil . ( not too hot else the middle doesn't cook through)
Drop in a teaspoonful at a time . (about 1/4 the size of a walnut - it fluffs up to the size of a small walnut !)
Don't overcrowd the pot. 5 -6 is enough at a time.
Cook for 2-3 mins , turning over once.
When they puff up and are brown allover , remove with a slotted spoon onto the paper , then put on a plate and dust with icing. Makes about 35-40 balls

We've seen various versions of this recipe and have adapted this one a bit to suit us ( us being cooks who like things simplified where possible)
huggs Little Ma

3 comments:

Kris said...

The Fluffy Puffs sound delicious. I must be ethnic too, cause I do that whole guilt thing too. I too have lots of buckets and I'm so guilt-ridden I can't water my garden!

NOT wearing a jumper - too HOT!!!!!

Life's little stuff said...

That's definitely guilt -ridden!
So go make the fluffy puffs - you'll feel all better LOL

Clarence said...

Those fluffy puffs look so yummy! I will try that recipe, thanks. :)