Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Food at Christmas




One of my fabulous Birthday presents. My New Mortar and Pestle. It's huge! It's heavy and it's fantastic. Serendipity is a wonderful thing 'cos what was on the telly ?
  • Food Safari

  • doing indian food with heaps of spices. I'm planning on going to the market and stocking up on a few bits like fresh tumeric, shrimp paste, smelly beans and candle nuts. I love curries. Actually any full-flavoured food is good. We don't do a lot of take out and sometimes I get so bored with the things I cook, so I love new recipes.
    We've created a favourite recipes book and this year we've come across some great ones. I judge a recipe to be great if I can make it work and it's tasty. An extra great recipe is one that can take modifying - something I just have to do - Anarchy in the Kitchen!!
    This Christmas I bravely tried 3 new items ( I had a moment of panic) But all were fantastic. the Cranberry Punch from
  • Make it your Own

  • The "Coeur a la creme D'Anjou with Raspberries by Gabriel Gate on
  • Food Safari
  • and a Mushroom and Bacon stuffing I made up using almonds and rye bread.
    I have to confess things didn't go all to plan. The Punch had rose petals and parsley floating instead of mint and I forgot a few things like bread and I couldn't find the extra gravy but it turned out a good night anyway.

    Boxing Day was a day of left-overs.

    We had a version of Turkey Bubble and Squeak on toast. I think the secret is to gently fry some chopped onions till they are really golden (in oil or butter) Takes about 15 mins. Add all the other leftover turkey , veg , stuffing and gravy. Moisten it with a bit of stock. I had left over roasted Roma Tomatoes so I added them too.

    I juiced some carrots and mixed it with the leftover cranberry and pineapple juices ( I didn't use them all in the punch) - it was a healthy start to the day and finished the day with a sweet but still healthy version of the above Gabriel Gate recipe .
    I still had raspberries, sauce and quark cheese left so I made up the recipe again but without the cheese cloth and only set it in individual bowls in the fridge for 30 mins. (Gave us time to eat dinner. ) It was divine! And there's still sauce to pour over icecream. Life is good.
    Huggs Little Ma

    1 comment:

    Kris said...

    Mmmmm..... Your Christmas sounds delicious. Actually, everything at your house is usually delicious!